Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Bukit Brown Bird Checklist

NSS Bird Group

Moderator: gim cheong

Bukit Brown Bird Checklist

Postby seetohyw » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Nature Watch Volume 20 No. 2 stated that there are 94 species in Bukit Brown Bird Checklist. Just want to point out that the actual number should be 95 as I sighted a handsome male Yellow-rumped Flycatcher there about 4 weeks ago.
seetohyw

Re: Bukit Brown Bird Checklist

Postby kctsang » Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 am

Hi See Toh, good to know that ....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kctsang

Postby alan owyong » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 am

See Toh, With more and more keen birders like yourself adding to the list, it will be not long to reach the landmark 100 species.
Hua Chew will be very happy.
Thanks.
alan owyong

Postby seetohyw » Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Alan

I reckoned 100 or more are highly likely for Bukit Brown if we take into account of the species that occur in both the Central Catchment Area (MacRitchie, Venues Drive and Lower Pierce area) and Bidadari.

Since Bukit Brown is nicely situated in between these two areas, I would think Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher, Dark-sided Flycatcher, Mugimaki Flycatcher, Black-backed Kingfisher, Ruddy Kingfisher, Indian Cuckoo, Hodgson's Hawk-cuckoo, Asian Drongo Cuckoo, Crow-billed Drongo, Cinnamon Bittern, Von Schrenck's Bittern, Malaysian Night Heron, Eye-browed Thrush, Eastern-crowned Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler and many more migrant species could be found there if birders and photographers spend the same amount of time there like what they do at Bidadari.

What do you think?

Happy birthday to you also Chairman.

Regards

See Toh
seetohyw

Postby alan owyong » Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 pm

See Toh, I fully agreed with you that BB CL will reach 100 plus if more birders spend time there. Georgina Chin has added quite a few to the list. You are right about the migrant passerines like the Flycatchers and other residents like Cinnamon Bittern that can be found in BB. Hua Chew in his proposal has stated that BB being closed to the CCNR will see more and more forest species coming over as the trees mature and the habitat becoming less disturbed.
Sorry I did not see your post in this forum which I am surprised is does not consolidate with the bird forum in the main page.
Thanks again for the BD wishes. Enjoy your birding at FH.
alan owyong

Return to Bird Group