Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

BIG no Walk at Teck Whye

aka BIG

Moderators: anuj_o, simon chan

BIG no Walk at Teck Whye

Postby plain tiger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Not expecting any turnout 'cos of the heavy downpour early Sat morning till mid morning, 3 interested members called if the walk was on, but only our new NSS PR officer, Teryang came with umbrella. We met and were surprised that despite the heavy drizzle around 9.45 am, there were butterflies.

First to appear were Common Grass Yellows Eurema hecabe contubernalis (2-3), then 2 female Striped Albatross Appias libythea olferna. I was surprised to see a loner very fast flyer Chestnut Bob Lambrix salsala salsala flying flower to flower, followed by one Blue Glassy Tiger Ideopsis vulgaris macrina grazed my overhead at first I thot was the usual Common Mime in lieu of the single noticeable Wild Cinnamon tree defloliated earlier by cats.

With the water drops becoming less than a drizzle around 10.30 am, the ahem ! Plain Tigers Danaus chrysippus chrysippus began to appear..several, and even the seldom seen Common Tiger Danaus genutia genutia form-intermedius (see pix), one appeared. A leopard Phalanta phalantha phalantha appeared and stayed a while.
There were also many PT cats defoliating Asclepias currasavica, planted more recently by NParks.
Rain or shine, this is indeed a haven for butterflies. I'm sure Teryang learnt enough names to go by for one day..thanks for turning up :thumbsup:

Latest : I went back next day 18th July Sunday morning to jog along the Pang Sua connector park/canal further up north some 2.5 km from the butt garden at Teck Whye and came across, not one but 2 Common Evening Browns, even more seldom seen, on a patch of open grass slope in front of Block 292A/B Chua Chu Kang Crescent area. See http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_tra ... el_site_1/
Apparently they were attracted to a tall legume tree trunk, going for sap on the trunk one foot above ground. Didnt have my camera with me or would have been easy target for shoot :bh:
Attachments
Teryang.jpg
(97.83 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Common Tiger.JPG
(97.27 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
BGT on Crotolaria.JPG
(88.66 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Leopard.JPG
(81.08 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
PT cats.JPG
(84.56 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
plain tiger

Re: BIG no Walk at Teck Whye

Postby Colonel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Should be called 'No BIG walk at Teck Whye' ...... :rofl:
"My, my, what BIG wings you have!", said Little Red Riding Hood to Great Mormon. "The better to fly away with you, my dear", replied Great Mormon.
Colonel

Postby plain tiger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Regarding the Common Evening Browns mentioned earlier, after 2 weekends, I came across possibly the same pair (one already with broken hind wing) on the 31st July morning, and this time had my camera with me. :thumbsup:
They were still going for the sap on the tree trunk, also this Mycalesis just as drunk over the tree. Anyone know the tree id, some kinda leguminosae ?
Attachments
Cm Evening Brown sapping up 31.7.10.JPG
(85.37 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Dark Brand Bush Brown sapping up 31.7.10.JPG
(75.89 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Tree with sap.JPG
(78.07 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Trunk sap closeup.JPG
(84.97 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Pang Sua Connector park 31.7.10.JPG
(87.03 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
plain tiger

Postby plain tiger » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Last check on 15th Aug, more butterflies on the tree trunk...counted 4 Evening Browns and 2 Mycalesis (Dark Brand).
The EBs seems to be thriving on the growing taller lallang alongside the tree.
Attachments
P8158758.JPG
(64.84 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
plain tiger

Postby plain tiger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Here's pix of the grass growing...breeding ground...CEB still going for the sap went past yesterday 23.8.10, about over one month since first reporting. Combo sap and grass sure to bring in CEB's :D
Attachments
P8228785.JPG
(71.23 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
plain tiger

Postby iwal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 am

Very interesting. I wanted to go there but yet have no opportunity and furthermore not sure where is it located. Is there any convenienc car park near by? Thanks for sharing..

Cheers.
Walad j
iwal

Return to Butterfly Interest Group