Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Update on Green cooridor flora and fauna

Update on Green cooridor flora and fauna

Postby plain tiger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Last time I did a survey on this sector before the July 11 deadline, now well passed 7 months or more months later, am happy to report the flora and vegetation has not undergone much change, some fauna reported and some surprising disoveries.
Date/Time : 12.2.12, 8-9 am was a cloudy morning the sun came out later.
Pictures as describing :

The white (here is light purple flowering) weed still in abundance along this initial stretch
Hillview end

More towards the left :
Twds Diary farm

Further along the white flowers of this creeper were doting the corridor
Thunbergia fragrans flowering

As were these familiar flowers then seen :
2126064 Ipomoea triloba

Met this fella said he was trying to catch the Peaceful dove, I mentioned to be careful not to trap illegally, especially the endangered species in order to 'protect the interests of the public'. Said he wasnt aware and said he doesnt go for exotic species. Made my point and left.
Merbok trapper

Just about approaching Gombak Drive, came across an abundance of the Mile a Minute creeper..but no butterflies in sight, unlike before, maybe too early. Missing were the Tawny Costers, Plain Tigers and Stripped Albatrosses. Saw Rings, and Bush browns along the grasses.
Mikania in flower

Just before approaching Gombak Drive railway sentry...railway creepers
Ipomoea mauritiana

...and at the sentry area, the same area saw this fella similarly spotted 7 months back, few generations later perhaps
Forest hopper

Going past Gombak Drive this section toward Chua Chu Kang Road, Bt Panjang estate in the background :
Gombak Drive
Twd CCK

Occasional shrubs appear in the middle of the corridor
Mimosa like shrub

A pair of Black naped oriole few across upwards to tall trees on the right, followed later by a surprise discovery on some plantation, I couldnt understand initially why behind some flatted factory areas.
Cockscomb plantation

'Twas a Cockscomb and some melon creeper being grown on a large plot off side to the right of the corridor
Melon creeper
Celosia argentea var. cristata
Cockscomb

Strangely a large patch of Pearl grass being grown further along the corridor, right left and centre covering the entire section of the corridor for a good stretch, encroaching the Indian temple almost to Chua Chu Kang Rd sentry.
Pearl Grass

The temple must be growing the grass to feed the chickens :pdr:
Behind the Indian temple

I finally discover its being planted as an extension to Prince's Nursery (did they buy the land ?)
More Pearl grass growing

Further along more creepers, must be placed by the nursery :
Hydrocotyle umbellata, Water or Marsh Pennywort

Almost the end, the tall grasses returned on both sides but the corridor still planted with Pearl grass, reverting somewhat back to the wild state just before the overgrown area around the KTM disused sentry.
A large flock of Munias flew around the grasses left to right and back
Flock of munias
Chested and Scaly breasted munia

I reach my end point, satisfied most of the way despite lack of more butterfly sighting, except for the trapper and flower plantation in question :
Towards CCK Rd
Gentry at CCK
plain tiger

Re: Update on Green cooridor flora and fauna

Postby plain tiger » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 am

More Green corridor pictures this Saturday 25.2.12 morning the section from the back of Hiiview Park to Hillview Road.
A large section of this short section mostly trees and wall of shrubs rising high both sides of the corridor
Back of Hillview Park
Path to Hillview Park

Hillview Park to Hillview Rd direction

Ipomea indica, Lantana, Sendudok found behind Glendale Park

Hillview Rd end or Green Corridor

Hillview Rd Upp Bt Timah jn

P2256152 Former railway crossing over Hillview Rd

Much of the corridor covered over with grass few signs of wildlife this short section
plain tiger

Return to Conservation Committee