Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Golden Royal at Bukit Brown

Butterfly, moth, caterpillar and pupa

Moderator: simon chan

Golden Royal at Bukit Brown

Postby anuj » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:17 am

Hi,

I was at Bukit Brown this morning for some field work and had an unexpected encounter with a Golden Royal (Pseudotajuria donatana donatana). Lifer for me!

It was a tame specimen and allowed me to take a record shot resting on the damp ground. Other sightings were common forest butterflies like Malay Viscount (mating pair), Malay Baron, Great Eggfly etc.

Cheers,
Anuj
Attachments
golden_royal_bukitbrown_16oct2012 2.JPG
golden_royal_bukitbrown_16oct2012 2.JPG (61.5 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
anuj

Re: Golden Royal at Bukit Brown

Postby amytsang » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:13 am

Great find, Anuj! Your photo shows quite clearly the beauty of this butterfly! We will love to see it too.... Bukit Brown has always been quite good for butterflies. I saw my first Dark Veined Tiger in Bt Brown. Actually, it is also very good for birds. We hope the bird and butterfly life will not be too badly affected by the new road to be built alongside Lornie Rd and Adam Rd. Thanks for sharing!
amytsang

Re: Golden Royal at Bukit Brown

Postby anuj » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Amy,
Yes i hope so too. The stretch where this butterfly was seen is a side mud track off the main roundabout in Bukit Brown. It is not going to be affected by the new road directly. But the construction, in my opinion, is severely going to reduce the inflow of species from Lornie and Mac Ritchie forest. Keeping fingers crossed!
anuj

Return to Butterflies and Moths