Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

A little help please guys and gals...

Butterfly, moth, caterpillar and pupa

Moderator: simon chan

A little help please guys and gals...

Postby adrhall » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello all (I've only communicated with Laurence and Green Baron before)
You may have seen in some of my posts that from time to time I'll happily shoot Butterflies and dragon/damselflies, though in the past more by accident than through purposeful forays. If I have a camera body set up for birds, i'll usually have another body ready with a macro lens too, 'just in case'.
My birthday just passed and my darling got me a Canon L series macro lens... i had enjoyed photographing some of the smaller subjects and now I hope to take macro photography a little more seriously... a very good macro lens will help, I'm sure!

I've previously photographed dragonflies mainly at Botanical Gardens, around some of the smaller ponds. Butterflies I have just happened upon, here and there.

I was wondering where some good places might be to go practice photographing these wonderful creatures in Singapore? Especially butterflies. I got myself a really good tripod too, so am eager to go and test out the equipment and start to learn how to take some wonderful shots. i have seen some of the postings on here and quite honestly I have a long, long way to go.

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian
adrhall

Re: A little help please guys and gals...

Postby lenachow » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Adrian,

If there's one place good for both butterflies and dragonflies, I would recommend the 'kitchen garden' at Pasir Ris Park, and the little pond just next to it. Not too far away from PRP, you can also see a good variety of species at Tampines Eco-Green.

If you are on Facebook, do join the 'Dragonflies of Singapore' and the 'Butterflies of Singapore and Malaysia' pages - the postings should give you an idea of what you can find where.

Happy shooting!

Cheers,
Lena
lenachow

Postby adrhall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 am

:thumbsup:
Thanks Lena!
adrhall

Postby laurence leong » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 am

And join us in our forays.
Beauty comes from within, and after deep silence, Beauty ecloses
laurence leong

Postby adrhall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Sounds like a winner Laurence. However am in The Hague right now and it looks like my role is going "global"... I can only imagine my calendar is going to be nuts in the coming months...
Will join your forays where I can though... :giggle:
adrhall

Return to Butterflies and Moths