Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

An alien-looking Spiny Spider

Insects, Spider, Scorpion, Centipede, Millipede ...
Invertebrate animal having an exoskeleton, a segmented body, and jointed appendages.

An alien-looking Spiny Spider

Postby lenachow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:25 pm

This one does not look like any of the spiny spiders on the local spider checklist... a new species maybe? :pdr:
lenachow

Re: An alien-looking Spiny Spider

Postby aristoheliam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:46 am

By local checklist do u mean the guide to common spiders of singapore? I noticed they do not have a lot of species. That book was in year 2000, 12 years ago. I think it is a bit outdated, but it is still a good guide to the more common species. The one u took is a Gasteracantha sp probably, im not sure which one. For a more comprehensive checklist, go here -> http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/50/50rbz359-388.pdf
aristoheliam

Postby lenachow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for the 2002 reference & ID help, aristoheliam.

I am referring to the online photographic Guide to Common Singapore Spiders (http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebook ... piders.htm) which is a more useful & accessible ID guide for beginners like myself. If you know of a more updated pictorial guide, do let us know.

The online Guide shows 5 Gasteracantha (or Spiny Spider) species, none of which quite fits my find.

Cheers,
Lena
Last edited by lenachow on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lenachow

Postby aristoheliam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Yea i have googled the 5 species, they do not match. This could perhaps be a new species. Or maybe just not recorded yet. To find a comprehensive list of spiders in singapore with pictures is very hard, i don't think there is one online as not a lot of research is being done on spiders of singapore. As even finding pictures of certain salticidae pictures online such as Bathippus sp is hard to find. All i came up was with taxonomic drawings. May i know where you found this particular species?

EDIT
Btw i found the same one, taken by a Flickr member in singapore, upper pierce.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehktang/23 ... otostream/
However there is no ID to it yet.
aristoheliam

Postby lenachow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm

This one was at Upper Seletar forest. I wasn't particularly looking for spiders, but have seen quite a number of interesting ones there during my recent visits.

I will post shortly, a pic of a rather intriguing spider web at the same forest, which might be of interest to you.

Cheers,
Lena
lenachow

Return to Arthropods