Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

NSS Position Paper on wild pigs in Singapore

Lion, Kangaroo, Bat, Pangolin, Spiny Ant-eater, Seal, Whale, Dolphin ...

Moderators: leopardcat, uncletony

NSS Position Paper on wild pigs in Singapore

Postby vilma » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:01 pm

NSS Position Paper on Wild Pigs In Singapore

I have read the NSS position paper on wild pigs and I disagree with its position.

I contend that the decision to cull wild pigs at this time is premature.

My stand is supported by the fact that there are currently no scientific studies on the impact of wild pigs on our forest ecology and no scientific studies of the population of wild pigs in the CCNR, making the decision to cull at this time, premature. I do not agree that wild pig studies done in Pasoh forest (Malaysia) as described by Yong et al are directly relevant to our situation, nor should they be used to inform us about the carrying capacity of wild pigs in our forest. We should have our own population studies done before we claim that Lower Peirce forest is over-run by wild pigs. Observations of wild pigs and of damage to the area are just not enough.

I refer to the two photos of wild pig rooting/digging with the labels, “bare turned-over soil—no regeneration”. If I went back to that same spot in 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, what I would see? Would there be any regeneration? Would the same wild pigs that dug up this area, dig up this area again and again, or go somewhere else? Are the wild pigs I may spot today digging here, really living here, or do they just come here to feed? What have these wild pigs eaten up? Will what our pigs eat now in this spot be forever gone? Do we really know the answers to all these questions?

The NSS position paper mentions one observation of wild pig predation on a Malayan box terrapin. What does this observation mean? Does it mean that the wild pigs will severely decrease the population of Malayan box terrapins? Do we really know?

Can’t we give our wild pigs some leeway until we find out?

Shouldn’t this be NSS’ stand?

In all my 10 years of volunteer wildlife survey work in our forests, most of which has been as a volunteer with the VSG in surveys for NParks or NUS or MINDEF, my experience of wild boar encounters have been limited to their diggings, wallows, and infrequent sightings where they quickly run away from me. Never has any really looked me in the eye, nor moved towards me, let alone attacked me. Hence, I find it very hard to believe that a wild pig, of its own volition, would have attacked a security guard and charged at a boy, flinging him into the air. More likely, the pig felt cornered and threatened by people at the scene and as a result, reacted as any frightened prey animal would to defend itself.

So why is NSS in its position paper painting the same negative images of wild pigs as the media, and accepting irresponsible media reporting instead of pointing out its flaws? Why isn’t NSS looking for positives? Why highlight only negatives? What are we doing?

It seems that now, wild pigs are feared and hated by people, undoing all the outreach that many individuals and groups have done over the years to encourage an appreciation for and tolerance of wildlife living in our midst. People need to learn how to live with wildlife in our city. If not, it would be prudent not to boast about being such an inclusive city, a “City in a Garden”. Because we are not.

Our wildlife is precious. We must not allow politics and the media to cloud people’s views. Unfortunately, this has happened and sadly, in my opinion, NSS has helped. If the public starts being averse to our wild pigs, what could be next? Macaques? Bats? Civets?

Let’s stop and reflect on what we are doing.

I urge us to stand together and call for scientific studies on wild pigs before any culling is done.

Many thanks
vilma d'rozario
NSS Life Member
vilma

Re: NSS Position Paper on wild pigs in Singapore

Postby bluesky3000 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:35 pm

sad subject but i agree it might be too premature currently
bluesky3000

Return to Mammals