Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Sensor size matters !

Moderator: richardlbong

Sensor size matters !

Postby green baron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm

There are good reasons why images from Full Frame SLR is so much better than APS-C SLR and APS-C SLR images are so much better than P&S. Size does matter. Look at the picture below :

The standard P&S (Sony TX 9, Sony HX100V, Lumix FZ40) sensor is 1/2.3" and has an area of just 28mm ! That is about 11 times smaller than an APS-C sensor ! :bh:

The 1/1.8" sensor is used by Prosumer P&S and 'big' sensor P&S such as Canon S100 and Canon G12. It is still 7 times smaller than an APS-C sensor.

Full Frame sensor
- 2+ times the APS-C sensor

Nikon J1/V1 mirrorless camera sensor is
- 4 times the size of P&S sensor :thumbsup:
- 1/2 the size of 4/3 sensor :thumbsdown:
- 1/3 the size of APS-C sensor :thumbsdown:
green baron

Re: Sensor size matters !

Postby alan owyong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Problem is the bigger the sensor the bigger the lens to bring the images to fill
the sensor. So which will be the first company to do what is optically impossible
now, a smaller lens for a full frame sensor.
alan owyong

Postby lenachow » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 pm

alan owyong wrote:Problem is the bigger the sensor the bigger the lens to bring the images to fill
the sensor. So which will be the first company to do what is optically impossible

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm really not into weightlifting at the moment...:lol:
lenachow

Postby kctsang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

alan owyong wrote:Problem is the bigger the sensor the bigger the lens to bring the images to fill

The other more important issue is money, the bigger the lens, and camera the more money one has to dish
out to get them, So at the moment I am messing around with my Nikon 1 V1, the results that I am getting
is pretty acceptable when it comes to fast moving targets like birds, more stationery targets like dragonflies
is very good. When attached to my 500mm lens with crop factor of 2.7, the lens focal lenght becomes 1,350 mm ... phew !!!
This also makes it difficult to get acceptable sharp pictures because of shake factor.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kctsang

Postby laurence leong » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:09 am

Point is, what is the optimal sensor size for field work, and what is the optimal number of pixals for such a sensor? Perhaps, it depends on what image size does want need, and also how much weight one is prepared to carry. Studio work is not a problem.
Beauty comes from within, and after deep silence, Beauty ecloses
laurence leong

Postby green baron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Alan,
Currently , you can't have the cake and eat it. The question is do you need a full frame sensor ? Most people do not need a full frame sensor as their images are only used on the web and they don't need to shoot under extremely lighting condition.
green baron

Postby green baron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 pm

laurence leong wrote:Point is, what is the optimal sensor size for field work, and what is the optimal number of pixals for such a sensor? Perhaps, it depends on what image size does want need, and also how much weight one is prepared to carry. Studio work is not a problem.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as one size fits all. In the end it depends on your expectation and how you want to use your photos.
It is not just image size but image quality. if you would like to be able to shoot in low light without flash, then the brighter the lens and the bigger the sensor the better.

I am happy with my DSLR + prime lens but it is too bulky to carry everywhere. The 4/3 system is a good compromise. You get almost the same image quality as DSLR, the advantage of interchangebale lens, 1/3 to 1/4 the bulk/weight and the sensor is 6 x bigger than the best P&S. It is the ideal camera to carry around when travelling. I am going to invest in a 4/3 system and now need to decide whether to get an Olympus or Panasonic.
green baron

Postby alan owyong » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I got back into bird photography because my son-in-law passed me his micro 4/3 Lumix original GF1.
Then Panasonic came out with a petit 100-300mm lens. With a crop factor of 2, I get an equivalent 600 mm.
I can sling it on my belt and shoot hand held most of time. No more tripods.
The lens has a stabliser and the auto focus is acceptable.
For short distance the results are good enough for online posting.
But it is impossible to focus on flying raptors and high flying birds.
Forget about getting a sharp photo of a swiftlet, but for this Whiskered Tern I cannot complain.
alan owyong

Postby green baron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Alan,
Nice shot ! Bird photography is an expensive hobby ;)
green baron

Postby kctsang » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am

green baron wrote:Alan,
Nice shot ! Bird photography is an expensive hobby ;)

Aiyah !!! photography can be expensive or cheap depending on the sensor size
you want to play with ..

Please do not forget that besides cameras, one needs to know how to use the software,
and have a good computer to go along ....

Oh, I forgot, you need some muscles to carry all those heavy equipment too !!! if you are into
big sensors !!!

:ko: :ko: :ko:
kctsang

Next

Return to Photography