Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Malayan Lascar or Burmese Lascar?

Post questions related to identification of butterflies and moths here

Moderator: simon chan

Malayan Lascar or Burmese Lascar?

Postby kctsang » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 am

This pix was taken by Amy on 2 Dec. She wishes to confirm if this butt is a Malayan Lascar or a Burmese Lascar (ie Lasippa heliodore dorelia). She thought it looked more like a Burmese Lascar as the yellow pattern edging on the forewings are continuous whereas that of the Malayan Lascar seems to have small gaps between the yellow pattern edging.

Thanks

:D :D :D

kctsang

Re: Malayan Lascar or Burmese Lascar?

Postby Fujis2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm

I think that's Malayan Lascar (Lasippa tiga siaka).

BMP key: forewing inner sub-marginal spot (very much contiguous in yr specimen) in space 3 is wider than spots in spaces 2 & 4. Let me know if you're not sure about the exact position ;)
SC
Fujis2

Postby kctsang » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:07 am

Fujis2 wrote:I think that's Malayan Lascar (Lasippa tiga siaka).

BMP key: forewing inner sub-marginal spot (very much contiguous in yr specimen) in space 3 is wider than spots in spaces 2 & 4. Let me know if you're not sure about the exact position ;)

Thanks SC. We're not sure of the position you are referring to, and will appreciate your further clarification. Also, how is this different from the Burmese Lascar's wing patterning?
kctsang

Postby Fujis2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

No problem KC, we're all learning, see the illustration based on my best understanding. Correction will be most welcome ;)

SC
Fujis2

Postby buttlover » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi KC,

Can I just borrow your thread to get this Lascar IDed too?

Any kind soul care to ID this for me? I guess it is a Pantoporia paraka

buttlover

Postby kctsang » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:20 am

Fujis2 wrote:No problem KC, we're all learning, see the illustration based on my best understanding. Correction will be most welcome ;)

Thanks, SC. Just want to understand correctly - are you saying that the part you've highlighted as 'space 3' is wider for Malayan Lascar than it is for the Burmese Lascar? In your view, the Lascar pix which Amy took is that of the Malayan Lascar since its space 3 is wider than is the case for the Burmese Lascar? We notice though that the yellow patch marked as space 2 by you has a clear indentation in its lower shaping, whereas for the Malayan Lascar this yellow patch is more like a yellow blotch. Also, as mentioned earlier the outer yellow edging is continuous for the Burmese Lascar, but seems to be separate yellow spots for the Malayan Lascar.... Will appreciate your further comments. Thanks! Amy
kctsang

Return to Butterfly ID