Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Hasora ??

Post questions related to identification of butterflies and moths here

Moderator: simon chan

Re: Hasora ??

Postby Laurence Leong » Tue May 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Do remember the Hasora was in the shade. It appeared more colourful when it ventured into the sun light. The flattening of the eye may be due to the reflection from the flash. I preferred to shoot without flash when I was doing slides, but it is more difficult to get good shot unless the illumination from the sun is uniform. Any harsh shadows makes for a contrasty pix, so a small filled-in flash is helpful.
Laurence Leong

Postby kctsang » Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Green Baron wrote:Thanks Richard for the analysis. My shot is taken using bounced flash and high iso thus no harsh shadow.

Another thing to note is the direction of the light source. For the first photo the light is coming from the top, while for 2 & 3, the light source (flash) is in shining almost directly towards the plane parallel to the 'film' thus making the eyes looks flat.

KC, next time we can use off camera slave flash and position the flash farther away from the camera.

Okay will do ...
:D :D :D
kctsang

Postby Laurence Leong » Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 am

Re #4, I used a mounted flash GN 25 -1EV. You can see the reflection of the flash in the butt's eye in the last 3 pixs. You don't get this in
the true butts.
Laurence Leong

Previous

Return to Butterfly ID