Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Whose Caterpillar... ???

Post questions related to identification of butterflies and moths here

Moderator: simon chan

Re: Whose Caterpillar... ???

Postby Colonel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Can roughly show us where the plant is without you going there.....maybe tell us some sort of landmark...ie near a bridge or near the entrance to Wallace Trail? :thumbsup:
"My, my, what BIG wings you have!", said Little Red Riding Hood to Great Mormon. "The better to fly away with you, my dear", replied Great Mormon.
Colonel

Postby Colonel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

kctsang wrote:Wah lau !!! did not know that this was a celebrity cat, the media glare
worst off that Jack Neo's .... :ko: :ko: :ko:

The find of the century man.... :yes: the media will definitely descend on the cat......with flash blazing....
Yeah worst than Jack and his Bean Stalk....
"My, my, what BIG wings you have!", said Little Red Riding Hood to Great Mormon. "The better to fly away with you, my dear", replied Great Mormon.
Colonel

Postby Colonel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:40 am

This may not be the cat of Idea stolli afterall....may even be Idea leuconoe.....
Anyway I have attached a pix of stolli I got from internet here:
http://www.pbase.com/ctranter/image/102622473
Colonel

Postby plain tiger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Simon,
Maybe better not to disclose till we meet up with KC...going this Sunday for Richard's Photo lesson at Dairy Farm ?
Steven
plain tiger

Postby EarlyStages » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:20 am

Since the Danaini are of particular interest to my research, please allow a new member to add his two cents to an old thread. The subject caterpillar is almost certainly that of a fourth-instar Idea leuconoe (Mangrove Tree Nymph), the number of lateral red spots increasing with its next molt to soon look like this: http://nc.kl.edu.tw/bbs/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=44. Also, I do believe the referenced larval photo by Christopher Tranter actually shows I. lynceus, his PBase image appearing identical to others I have of this species' cat. BTW, Parsonsia "helicandra" (爬森藤) is now considered a synonym, with P. alboflavescens being the currently accepted botanical name.

Best wishes,

Keith Wolfe
Antioch, California

PS Least I forget my manners, I am a lepidopterist who studies the immature stages and hostplant utilization of butterflies in order to better understand (resolve) their phylogeny (scientific placement) and, when necessary, conservation requirements.
EarlyStages

Postby plain tiger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi Keith,
Welcome to the forum !
And thanks for yet another value add.
Plain Tiger
plain tiger

Postby richardlbong » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:56 am

Well done KC, for finding this rare caterpillar. Thank you Keith for the valuable imput.
Richard
richardlbong

Previous

Return to Butterfly ID