Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Graphium Swallowtails -- Ids?

Post questions related to identification of butterflies and moths here

Moderator: simon chan

Graphium Swallowtails -- Ids?

Postby moloch » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:54 am

Greetings,

I am newbie here on the Nature Forum. In June, my wife and I visited Malaysia. I have been there a number of times for birding but this was my wife’s first trip. We stayed in KL for a few days and then headed up to the lovely Fraser’s Hill. After that, my wife returned to Australia and I continued on to Taman Negara for another week. Taman Negara with its beautiful rainforest is my favourite of all national parks anywhere in the world. The infrastructure is excellent and the diversity of about everything is extreme. This was my fourth visit to the park.

Before this trip, I did a fair bit of preparation on the web and came across this website and other amazing butterfly websites. I have always enjoyed butterflies but your websites (this site, the ButterflyCircle, Goh’s) really rekindled my interest in these creatures. Instead of birds or reptiles, I spent most of my time on this trip searching for and photographing butterflies.

I have travelled a fair amount in my life and I cannot remember anyplace that has such a diversity or abundance of butterflies as Taman Negara. It was just amazing to visit a sand bar along the Tahan River around mid-day and see the mixed species flocks of puddling butterflies. I photographed more than 90 species at Taman Negara and saw many others that were not cooperative for photos.

I don’t have a copy of BMP so have relied on the websites to try and identify what I have encountered. I will post photos of these along with what I think to be their names. I would be very grateful for help with the identifications. Also, please point out what characteristics should be examined to confirm an identity. Thanks for your help!

Graphium swallowtails

I see a few species of Graphium swallowtails here in Australia but never numbers like these.

PHOTO 1
A family stopped at Lubok Simpon for a swim. Their son’s shoes were highly attractive to several species of Graphium.

Veined Jays (Graphium chironides) --- several bottom, centre/left
Common Jays (Graphium doson) – most of the remainder
Common Bluebottle (Graphium sarpedon) – wingtips barely visible centre right.
Five-barred Swallowtail (Pathysa antiphates)

PHOTO 2
I think that there are three species of Graphium in this photo.

A) Veined Jay (Graphium chironides)
B) Blue Jay (Graphium evamon)
C) Common Jay (Graphium doson)

PHOTOS 3&4

Five-barred Swallowtail with Common Jays (Graphium doson, photo3) and Common Bluebottles (Graphium sarpedon), photo4).

PHOTO 5
This photo includes two individuals that I completely overlooked until I examined the photo. I think that the two swallowtails lower left are Spotted Jays (Graphium arycles). I think that the other Graphium are mostly (Graphium doson ) with a single (Graphium arycles) top center.

PHOTO 6
I was happy to find this Tailed Jay (Graphium agamemnon ) that actually remained motionless for a few minutes early one morning. Later in the day, they seem to be in perpetual motion and only briefly stop at flowers.

Regards,
David
moloch

Re: Graphium Swallowtails -- Ids?

Postby moloch » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks very much for the reply and the identification, Green Baron.

I have never visited Endau Rompin but would like to someday. I have seen a butterfly blog about it and it looks like a great place!

Regards,
David
moloch

Postby Fujis2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 pm

You may refer to this website for Malaysian butterfly. I maintained it with the help from many friends from Nature Society as well as ButterflyCircle :whistle:
SC
Fujis2

Postby moloch » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks for the link, Fujis2. That is an excellent site.

Richard,
I don't know what was on the kid's shoes but whatever it was, it worked well. I hope that the bait was not similar contents of the following "package" that was left on the bank of the river. :lol: It also worked very well at attracting butterflies and moths:

Regards,
David
moloch

Postby moloch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:55 am

Yes, that was a daiper. Looks like great lep bait, don't you think?

Those day-flying moths are really beautiful.

Dysphania sagana

Dysphania glaucescen

Regards,
David
moloch

Return to Butterfly ID