Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Plant blooming all over Fraser's Hill (Schima wallichii)

Post any plants you would like to be id in this sub-forum

Moderators: angieng, gerard francis

Plant blooming all over Fraser's Hill (Schima wallichii)

Postby green baron » Fri May 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Anyone know the id of this tree which is currently blooming all over Fraser's Hill.

green baron

Re: Plant blooming all over Fraser's Hill - Schima wallichii

Postby green baron » Tue May 18, 2010 2:08 pm

This plant has been id by Dr Shawn Lum, Mr Yap KF and Bian Tan from the NSS Plant Group as Schima wallichii, belonging to the Tea family Theaceae.

Shawn Lum wrote: I think it might be Schima wallichii in the camillia/tea family (Theaceae). The flowers should have lots of stamens and look quite a bit like Gordonia (which we have in Singapore), and leaves with toothed margins, if what you saw is actually Schima.

Schima has a really interesting distribution pattern, from Northeastern India across to the Greater Sunda islands, north to the Philippines, and apparently through Taiwas such as swamp forests; I saw them growing in the Peninsular Botanical Garden in Trang, Thailand, in freshwater swamp forest.

Yap KF wrote:There is only one Schima sp. (Tea Family) recorded for Peninsula Malaysia. This is Schima wallichii (DC.) Korth. It is quite common in montane forests and you will find it in the hill stations like Bukit Fraser, Penang Hill, etc.

Bian Tan wrote:The species is highly variable and some botanists talk of the Schima "complex" which may encompass several subspecies or even species.

I looked up some photos I had taken in SE Asia - the form of S. wallichii that I've seen in Peninsular Malaysia, Burma, Indonesia and Philippines seems to have smooth margins, while in Bokor National Park (Cambodia), I came across distinctly toothed leaves. Corner (Wayside Trees) states: "(leaf) edge generally uneven or coarsely toothed, but in some cases entire".
green baron

Re: Plant blooming all over Fraser's Hill (Schima wallichii)

Postby plain tiger » Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Nice Gan, the flowers looks like our roadside Ceylon Ironwood (Mesua ferrea) trees from far when blooming all over...
plain tiger

Re: Plant blooming all over Fraser's Hill (Schima wallichii)

Postby green baron » Tue May 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Yes, that was what crossed my mind when I first saw the flowers
green baron

Return to Plant ID