Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Damselfly - Panti forest

Damselfly - Panti forest

Postby Laurence Leong » Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 am

K C, this one looks like it is in the same family as yours taken in Fraser's, except for the light colour of the thorax.

Laurence Leong

Re: Damselfly - Panti forest

Postby lenachow » Sat May 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes, KC's damsel (Aristocypha fenestrella) is in the same Chlorocyphidae (Jewels) family as yours, and I think yours is a Libello hyalina (Clearwing Gem). I also saw a similar one at Panti, here's my blurry shot...
P1180786.JPG
P1180786.JPG (31.22 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

Here's a brilliant clip of a territorial fight between another species in the family - two male Libellago lineata (Golden Gem) - which Mr Tang had shared on 6 Apr in this forum under the topic "An Emperor Oviposits":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-966YW7Gawk

Cheers,
Lena
lenachow

Postby Laurence Leong » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 am

Lena, your damsel hasn't got the two large spots at the end of the wings. Your video clip seems to show two dragonflies fighting. :pdr:
Laurence Leong

Postby lenachow » Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 am

Well, yours may be a different damsel in the same family then(there are 10 species), the dark spots are not obvious from your pic; I see a tinge of orange on your damsel, could it perhaps be a Libellego stigmatizans, Orange-faced Gem?

And yes, the other 2 damselflies (not dragonflies) were involved in a territorial fight as stated... :smile:
lenachow

Postby kctsang » Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Laurence Leong wrote:K C, this one looks like it is in the same family as yours taken in Fraser's, except for the light colour of the thorax.

Hi, I think yours is the Heliocypha biforata ( male ) as it has a hint of magenta marks on the dorsal
section of the thorax... :pdr: :pdr: :pdr:
kctsang

Return to Odonata (Dragonflies and Damselflies)